Lets go fishing!

If you'd like to go kayak fishing with me, we might be able to make an arrangement. Leave a comment on the page, and I'll get back to you as soon as I receive it.

Massey's Professional Outfitters

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Last prefish before the big AFWC

Launched for 6:45 planning on making it a long day.  I started off by heading to the graveyard to ultimately go past it, but found 2 islands with a little bit of moving water between them, and decided to throw in the middle of them.  Landed 2 speckled trout in 30 min.  Not great, but its the first ones of the year.  Having seen some predatory fish crash up on the bank a few times about 100 yards away from me, I decided to pick up anchor and see if I could catch one.   No luck at this spot.  As I continued my way down into an area I had not fish before, I see 2 other kayakers coming from that direction, which I thought was weird as it was still only 9am and they were coming back.  I ultimately made it to the destination of unexplored area, and was able to catch a 17" large mouth.  I continued to move into what I suspected to be a large pond with grass.  I was wrong, it was a large mudflat filled with reds trying to warm up from the 54 degree night they just endured.  It was easy pickins from there.  If I saw them swimming, I was able to cast past them, bring the lure in front of their face, and Fish On!  There was a few occasions that I thought I saw a fish, but it turned out to be nothing, so I kept the lure out there, waiting for a fish to swim between me and the lure, and was able to trick him into taking the bait.  The wind started to pick up at this time, and decided it would be best to take some shelter behind some marsh grass, or find a different area.  Just a few hundred yards from the mudflat I was fishing at, I found a small cut coming into the main bayou.  I put my anchor down and cast into the cut allowing the current to bring my bait back to me a little.  The cork went under in no time, and on the other end of it was a small redfish.  It was under 16 inches, so I had to throw him back.  I caught another 2 or 3 small ones in this spot, changing up lures and tactics to see what was working, and everything was.  The 4th red caught in this spot was a 25" red which spooked the rest of them out of there, as I didn't get another bite for a while before I made up my mind to move.  I moved another few hundred yards down this main bayou until I found another cut, this one leading back up into the graveyard.  I anchored here and caught some reds.  I eventually moved through this cut into the graveyard, seeing a redfish swimming in circles, with an inch or 2 of its back sticking out of the water.  My first thought was to catch it, but when he wouldn't bite, I thought it would be a better idea to save him.  So I did my best to spook him until he got scared and swam past the 1 inch of water land barrier entrapping him.  From here, I was able to sight cast several more reds in crystal clear water with a small amount of grass at the bottom.  The gold spoon didn't work at this area, so I switched to a chartreuse H&H cocahoe with a jig head.  The reds couldn't resist, and there were a few times that even after I had one hooked, I could see it's friends swimming around following him.  I ended the day with 11 pics of reds, but I know that I didn't take pics of all of them, so I think 15 or more redfish, 2 speckled trout, and 1 large mouth bass.

Skies: clear
temps 55-80
water: dirty to clear
lures: gold spoon, natural vudu shrimp under a cork, chartreues cocahoe under a cork and jighead
wind: SE 10

No comments:

Post a Comment